Saturday, March 7, 2020

OSCE Books (Examination Provisional Registration)

Which book would I recommend for Part 2 Exam?

This post is mainly about the study materials needed for the OSCE part of Examination for Provisional Registration (EPR) in Malaysia. If you are looking for Part 1(theory) click here.

Resources

There are a few resources I used which I find useful while getting ready for the exam which includes
1. Samson Handbook
2. Oxford handbooks
3. Ten teachers
4.  Books used by local graduates
5.  Online resources

Book References



Samson Handbook of PLAB 2 and Clinical Assessment 

By Dr Samson Chissi

This comprehensive and friendly book is a good guide for the EPR step 2 exam. 
It covers most of the topics and scenarios that you can be tested on in the EPR2 OSCE.
I find it most useful especially in guiding us how we should react and talk in front of the patients. 
This book has a step by step guide on how you start your conversations to your posture and respect for the patient,

Pocket Guide to Physical Examination and History taking
by Lynn S. Bickley

If you graduated from other countries such as: China, India, Indonesia, etc. This book is a good guide for you to understand how the malaysian's expect from you when you are required to do a physical examination.

The sequence(you learn in another country) can be a little different, but there is nothing that you could not overcome with the guidance of this book. 




Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine


It doesn't matter which edition you have, the most important is to know the content. 
The medication and prescription they use in this book are quite similar with what the doctors use in malaysia. 
- Good to refer to if you forgot some information about a specific condition.








Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialties

I love to use this book as a reference for specific subjects like orthopedics and trauma, pediatrics, Primary care and other sub topics like ENT and Opthalmology.

The obstetric and gynecology here is quite good but I prefer to use the ten teachers for reference.







Books used by Local Medical Graduates



Excellence in OSCE in Surgery and Orthopaedics  1st Edition Book 1
This is the best guidance for me to learning orthopedics OSCE! 
As a foreign medical graduate I came to realize my orthopedic's knowledge is poor and need much more improvement then I can imagine.
This book along with youtube guided me step by step  to mastering orthopedics as how we should have in the first place.
I am not sure does this apply the same to all foreign graduates, but I can be sure that orthopedics plays a MAJOR role in OSCE.





Excellence in OSCE in Internal Medicine, Psychiatry and ENT


1st Edition Book 2

This is one of the books my friend used and found useful for the exam. I personally didnt use this book for internal medicine, psychiatry or ent, as I find the samson book and the " oxfords " enough.








Excellence in OSCE in Obstetric and Gynecology

1st edition Book 3

This book is amazing, they explain to detail to what we need to know about OBGYn for MBBS standards.
Some topics are a bit too detail but no harm learning more. 😁


Pediatrics Protocol
For Malaysia Hospital
By Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia

One of my junior lend me this book when I am preparing for the 2nd step. This is very good to help us understand how doctor's in malaysia deal with conditions they could face in the clinical setting.
I would strongly recommend all to read this.









Obstetrics and Gynecology
by Ten Teachers

This is one of the reference book I used for Obstetric and Gynecology as well. 










Apps

UPtoDATE is the best app I used so far. you can get the latest medical news online and get articles to back up what they say which is useful when you need to make a stand during the exam.

Keep yourself updated. 👇


Websites


However, they don't have videos to show how it was done, so you can refer to the websites below to learn and practice.




4. https://www.youtube.com/ and search on the topic that you need help with.

Advice

To just study the books I recommended above won't be enough for you to pass the exam, clinical knowledge is still necessary to help with your scores.
I was quite lucky to be able to find a few doctors and professors in a university hospital to help us with our study before taking the exam. Thank you so much Dr! 

If you are really bored stuck at home just studying, I would strongly encourage you to get out there to learn from the professionals themselves by:

1. Joining electives in the hospital
2. Working as a clinical assistant in hospital
3. Working as a research assistant in a teaching hospital
4. Join the local students who are in their final year of tagging in hospitals!

Read the upcoming post to see which topics are crucial for your study!

Good luck!





   

4 comments:

  1. thank you for publishing these posts for those who are preparing for EPR. there are really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can i know where to get Samson Handbook of PLAB 2 and Clinical Assessment
    By Dr Samson Chissi here in kl. try to find ebook and even hardcopy but to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PM me in my email whatabtmusic@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. amazing blog. really helpful as im also planning on giving the epr osce exam
    i was wondering whether you could email me any of the pdf / soft copies of the recommended books youve mentioned here. that would be awesome :D

    ReplyDelete